Report of the Trinity Presbytery Insurance Committee
8 November 2014
Concord Cumberland Presbyterian Church
The meeting was called to order by Moderator James Cantey at 9:00 AM and the opening prayer was offered by the Rev. Duane Dougherty.
The following were present: James Cantey (moderator), Le Ila Dixon (Board of Missions), Duane Dougherty (Task Force on Ordained Clergy), Paula Hayes (Clerk/Treasurer), Brian Martin (Board of Finance) and, by conference call, Geoff Knight (vice-moderator).
The Trinity Presbytery Insurance Committee makes the following recommendations to the body:
Recommendation 1: That in the Standing Rules of Trinity Presbytery, Section IV. J,
Presbytery Insurance Committee, be deleted.
Recommendation 1: That in the Standing Rules of Trinity Presbytery, under the
heading “Board of Finance,” section IV. D. 10, including the section Guidelines for
Health and Disability Insurance; and section IV. D. 11, be replaced by the following revised guidelines submitted by the Insurance Committee.
1. The Insurance Committee of Trinity Presbytery shall be made up of the following people:
Moderator, Vice Moderator, Stated Clerk/Treasurer, Chairperson of the Board of Missions, Chairperson of the Permanent Task Force on Ordained Clergy, and the Chairperson of the Board of Finance and Trustees.
2. The Committee shall meet as necessary, either at the direction of Trinity Presbytery or the call of the Moderator or Stated Clerk.
3. The Committee is responsible for administration of the Presbytery’s insurance program, ensuring that all eligible ministers receive coverage, and deciding any issues not covered by these guidelines.
4. The insurance program of Trinity Presbytery will be funded through a portion of the presbytery apportionment paid by each church. Cost of the program will be included in the presbytery’s budget.
5. Trinity Presbytery will maintain a Health Insurance Reserve Fund equivalent to the cost of three (3) month’s expenses for coverage for emergency situations. This fund will be administered by the Board of Finance of Trinity Presbytery. Notification of fund transfers to be sent to the Insurance Committee.
6. All full time ministers who are members of Trinity Presbytery, and who work at least 30 hours per week for a Cumberland Presbyterian Church that is apportioned, are to be enrolled in health care coverage and long term disability insurance.
7. Insurance will be provided through the program of the Board of Finance of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church or a minister may select equivalent coverage through a less expensive provider. The Insurance Committee must receive a copy of the insurance policy with the cost breakdown prior to allocation of funds by Trinity Presbytery. The allotted premiums for this coverage will be paid by Trinity Presbytery to the respective congregations.
Please read the report as it affects all ministers and churches.
If you have issues with any of the recommendations, please attend the call meeting of Presbyterynext Saturday at 9:00 AM at Elmira Chapel CPC in Longview, Texas so these issues may be openly discussed.
Please make note that one of the guidelines proposed in the report allows ministers to find other insurance with equivalent coverage at less cost than that offered by the denomination. If this guideline is passed at the call meeting you need to be aware of three important things:
1. The Affordable Care Act options will open on Saturday, November 15.
2. Presbytery must know of your choice of insurance by November 30.
3. Presbytery must have a copy of the policy you choose and a breakdown of the cost.